BLE is the digital trend of the year and the backbone of so many others… particularly in retail.
Bluetooth LE (Low Energy), or BLE, goes far beyond the previous incarnations of wireless bluetooth used in headsets and other devices. BLE offers a more stable radio wave connection that spans over 100 feet with power sources that can go for months or years. It is ideal for indoor (retail) environments and can triangulate activities through beacons spaced around a perimeter. While BLE is not a household term currently, it is an ingredient technology and integral to many of the biggest trends across wearable computing, mobile payments and IoT (Internet of Things) space.
Sample BLE Applications
- PayPal handsfree payments and check-in
- Apple iBeacon
- Safeway rolls out iBeacon
Wearable Computing / Sports Bands:
- LIT action sports band – https://vimeo.com/62354520
- W/Me band measures wellness and social notification – http://greatist.com/health/wme-health-and-wellness-tracker
- FitBit Zip pedometer and sleep measurement – http://www.fitbit.com/zip
- Jawbone Up pedometer, diet log and sleep measurment – http://www.engadget.com/products/jawbone/up/
- Stick and Find
- Tile homing device – http://techcrunch.com/2013/06/20/tile/
- Coin digital credit card – https://onlycoin.com and new dev kit
- Estimote IoT operating system – http://techcrunch.com/2013/07/16/estimote-creator-talks-about-building-an-os-for-the-physical-world/
- Zow Pow stuffed animal joysticks combining BLE and accelerometers – http://www.zowpow.com/